Nomination & Application Form
Dr. Teresa Lynn Wells Haven’s professional career in disability services included work at the University of Arkansas, the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University. In each position, Teresa repeatedly demonstrated her strong knowledge of accessibility in the technology environment as she continually worked towards creating a more accessible digital world. Her involvement in ATHEN is only one example of Teresa’s commitment for equity and inclusivity. In November 2016, ATHEN members unanimously voted to create this scholarship opportunity in Teresa Haven’s honor.
The application deadline is March 29, 2019.
Please download the following documents and complete off-line. Submission information is included in the application form and described under Application Submission.
Student scholarships require nomination from a current ATHEN member. Eligibility requirements are below.
- Enrollment in a post-secondary institution in the United States during the award period or evidence of acceptance to a postsecondary institution in the United States immediately following the award period (i.e. award granted in May, student must be accepted to a postsecondary institution for Fall semester of that same year.)
- Must be a student with a disability
- Registration for a minimum of six (6) credit hours per quarter/semester
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Nomination by an ATHEN member
Criteria for Award
The Selection Committee will make award decisions based on the following selection criteria:
- Disability-related leadership and service
- Academic achievement
- Well-articulated goals
- Two letters of support (one from the nominating ATHEN member and one from another person)
Applications will be considered by a committee made up of ATHEN members.
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that all items are submitted to ATHEN by email before March 29, 2019. Application should include the following:
- Nomination Form completed by the nominating ATHEN member. This is the front page of the Application Form.
- Completed application
- Transcripts of all postsecondary grades (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Personal statement
- A letter of nomination from the nominating ATHEN member (to be sent by reference)
- A letter of support from another person (to be sent by reference)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The scholarship award amount is for $1,000.00 and will be payable via check to the award recipient.
Application packets and supporting letters should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship applicants will be notified of their award status during the month of May 2019.
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com
Deadline for submission is March 29, 2019.