Nomination & Application Form
In honor of one of the founding members of ATHEN, the ATHEN membership introduced the Ron Stewart Professional Development Award.
Ron Stewart was an instrumental figure and champion of access technology in higher education. During his career in higher education, he saw that there were many small localized professional organizations for those working in higher education to support the needs of students, faculty, & staff with disabilities. However, there was no national organization for these professionals. To rectify this, in 2002, Ron Stewart helped to start the Access Technology Higher Education Network (ATHEN) while continuing to work in the field of access technology. ATHEN has flourished into an international organization to collect and disseminate best practices in access technology in the higher education environment as well as present a collective voice for the professional practice of access technology in higher education. ATHEN has become a continual sponsor of the Accessing Higher Ground conference.
The Ron Stewart Professional Development Award purpose is to continue Ron’s mission to nurture access technology professionals in higher education. To accomplish this, the Award will support a first-time attendee to participate in the Accessing Higher Ground conference.
The application deadline is September 1, 2018.
Professional Development Award
- Standard Main Conference Registration Package for 2018 Accessing Higher Ground Conference. Includes all workshops, Wednesday to Friday (keynote dinner not included).
- Hotel accommodations for the conference (up to 3 nights) at the official conference hotel, Westin Westminster.
- Professional Membership in ATHEN for 1 year.
Please note: Recipient with be responsible for all travel costs and meals. No monetary award or reimbursement is provided.
Please download the following documents and complete off-line.
- Never attended the Accessing Higher Ground conference.
- Currently employed at a post-secondary institution in the field of access technology.
Applications will be considered by the ATHEN Executive Council.
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that all items are submitted to email@example.com before September 1, 2018. Application should include the following:
- Completed application
- Personal statement on your future goals and ambition to support access technology
- Nomination by a current ATHEN member (self-sponsorship allowed)
- Letter of support from management or equivalent at current institution
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Deadline for submission is September 1, 2018.
Application packets should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants will be notified of their award status by September 14, 2018.
- Recipient will be responsible for all travel costs and meals.
- No monetary award or reimbursement is provided.
- If you are unable to attend the conference in the year that you were awarded, please understand that your scholarship is forfeit. We encourage you to apply again next year.
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com